A categorical cry for help

Friday, April 24, 2009

For those of you who haven't noticed, this blog is a bit of a hodgepodge.  When I actually make the effort to post multiple times every couple weeks, the range of topics addressed becomes quite diverse, to say the least.  The first absurd metaphor that comes to mind is a typical food plate at an after-service church pot luck: it's hard to make out what is what, and when your taste buds are finally getting accustomed to the vegetarian chili, that little bit of jello dessert that snuck it's way onto the fork throws you right back off again.  

With this in mind, I've flirted with the idea of categorizing my posts.  Practically speaking, it makes sense, both for myself and others: whether one of my readers wants to skip to a certain topic because he thinks I suck at everything else, or I want to track down something I wrote in the past (I think it's all good), a classification system of sorts would come in handy.  It seems as if my most avid blogging buddies - all of whom are far more well versed in the trade than myself - have elected to categorize; the pragmatist in me advises me to follow their example.

Logical sensibilities aside, however, I can't help but feel a type of aversion to the idea.  Perhaps I'm reading a bit too far into it (not a far-fetched possibility, by any measure), but it seems that by attaching a label to something, I'm creating a condition where all of the preconceptions and stereotypes associated with that label could taint my post.  Not that this is necessarily a bad thing - personally speaking, if I didn't regularly group ideas together, my mind would be as confounded and disoriented as a Lewis Carroll novel.  One of the things I value the most about this space, though, is that it's a place where disciplines, topics, themes - whatever you want to call them - can intertwine and relate to one another.  Whereas Marxist economics and evangelical theology might be considered strange bedfellows in many conventional forums, my blog gives me the unique chance to throw them in a room together, and see what happens.  

As I write this, I'm deprecating myself for sounding conceited.  Who am I to think that I'm in a special position to draw these types associations in my humble blog, while critiquing well-aged classifications in the process?  Perhaps categorization would be a needed shot to my ego, a wake-up call to the limits of "thinking big" and the merits of dedicating oneself to a focused topic.  

If you haven't figured it out already, this is more of an call for opinions than anything else.  To those of you who do keep a blog: why or why not do you categorize your posts?  If you do, do you find it limits the perspective they offer?  There may be people who don't read a blog, but have a pretty good idea how they'd structure it if they did; my menial appeal extends to you also.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello
http://www.thecenterforenergyhealing.com/ - adipex weight loss
Taking Adipex on an empty stomach will only produce stomach upset.
[url=http://www.thecenterforenergyhealing.com/]adipex online[/url]
The best time to take this pill is in the morning after breakfast.
order adipex
The weight and age of a patient are parameters in determining the dosage given by doctors.