Semi-obsessed with semicolons

Sunday, April 19, 2009

I was just reading my last blog post, and realized how much I over-used semicolons.  Partly due, undoubtedly, to the fact I started writing it at about 12:00AM.  More so, I'd say, to my unwillingness to finish a thought when it duly should be put to rest.  God help my future spouse, if this is any reflection of my communication skills in general.

I'll leave it up to my grammarian friends (all of whom, presumably, are still in the closet) to draw correlations between my use of certain types of punctuation and my life as a whole.  Take this post, in all it's brevity, as a mere admission of guilt;  I'll try my hardest to repent.

2 comments:

jeremylukehill said...

Tom,

As long as you are using them grammatically, there is nothing shameful in loving semi-colons. If you feel that you are alone in your obsession, just read Milton's prose sometime, any of it, and revel in the punctuation. Then, whenever anyone criticizes your semi-colons, you can say, "Yes, but in Milton's...." That usually ends the discussion.

Anonymous said...

I over-use semi colons massively.... every since I was informed that I couldn't just throw a comma in where ever I wanted.

Acknowlege your semi-colon love. Embrace it.

--Emma